Thursday 11 September 2014


There and back again (hopefully) - Molly's Hebridean Adventure Day 11

Before breakfast today I walked round to the beautiful St Clement's Church which is one of the most historic in Scotland and only 1/4 mile from the Rodel Hotel. There are lovely stone carvings, particularly the Clan carvings on the four stones.

One of the most imposing gravestones in the Churchyard is for Sir Norman MacLeod who caught for King Charles in, you guessed it, the Battle of Worcester in 1651.






It was another beautiful day, with sunshine all day. After breakfast I drove to Scarista and played 18 holes at the Isle of Harris Golf Club. It was just me and the green keeper to start with and he was really helpful explaining the layout of the course and finding me some midge repellent as they were pretty active this morning. Payment for the round was in the honesty box as usual and the small clubhouse was open but no one there other than me and green keeper.

The Ryder Cup had been at the club on Monday as part of its Scottish tour. This is a pretty popular course with the big boys - Nick Faldo said it is one of the most beautiful courses he knows.

I loved my round, helped by playing 3 under my handicap but it is a lovely little course. As ever in Scotland, things are fairly relaxed. To the extent that the ladies in from of me on the second 9 had their dog with them!












I drove next to Luskentrye beach and had a walk for a couple of hours. You begin to get a bit blasé about amazing looking beaches up here but this was right up there with the best. It looks out onto the island of Taransay which is where Ben Fogle and his chums were castaway by the BBC a few years ago.











I then drove to the start of Glen Meavaig and walked the track to the eagle viewing hide. Unfortunately I did not see any eagles, but nor had anyone else today either. Met a couple of ladies from Llandrindod Wells on the track - they knew Uncle John's garage, small world! 





The Isle of Harris has the most amazing landscape, semi buried huge bolders and rocks everywhere it looks like a moonscape.

I then drove back to the hotel but the exciting route down the tiny road down the east side of South Harris. You really have to concentrate on these rounds. Most is very narrow single track, and when you come over the brow of a hill you have no idea where you are going next. At times, the road is just wide enough for the car with a big drop, or rocks, or a loch either side. I keep meeting people who have noticed Molly over the last 10 days and want to stop for a chat. Well Kate, it would be rude not to oblige!

Back to the hotel for a lovely dinner of fresh mackerel which they caught this morning. Off to Lewis tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment