Tuesday 9 September 2014

There and back again (hopefully) - Molly's Hebridean Adventure Day 9

This will be a post without any pictures. I am staying at the Rodel Hotel on Harris where there is no phone signal and very little wifi internet so I don't think it (or my patience) is up to trying to post pictures.

I had a lovely night and great breakfast at Langass Lodge on North Uist. I didn't have a full cooked but what I did have they cooked to perfection for me. It is amazing how bacon and scrambled egg can be unappertising (Castlebay Hotel) or perfect (Langass).

I would have liked some more time there, but I was glad to leave the midges there.

Today was the first day when Molly had her roof up all day. It was raining on my way to and during my morning walk. Fine during my lunchtime walk but then drizzling again is afternoon.

This morning I went to the RSPB reserve at Balranald. There is a nice walk through the Machair and then round a headland with good views of the beaches, rocks and waders and so on. Actually, the bit I found most interesting was seeing how the crofters are managing their farming to support the wildlife and the corncrake in particular. Have a read of Ian Mitchell's excellent book The Isles of the West if you want to learn how controversial the RSPB's plans have been.

Disaster nearly struck when I realised I had dropped my camera out of my pocket somewhere in the dunes. To my huge relief, I managed to retrace my steps to a point where I had been sitting and found it there. Phew!

I drove onto my second walk on the very north of the island to do a Monty Hall's walk. This was around an area with a vast flat beach which simply went on as far as the eye could see. The walk was out to a headland and had some great views of surrounding islands.

I then drove to Berneray (my 9th island on my 9th day) to catch the ferry across the Sound of Harris to Leverburgh on Harris. It is a restricted service at this time of the year because of the lack of depth of water. The crossing takes an hour but is an amazing zig zag back and forth between islands and deep water channels.

I then had a short drive to Rodel to my hotel where I am staying for 3 nights. When I arrived, my heart sank. There is an abandoned derelict wing to the side of the hotel and the outside of the hotel looked fairly grotty even though it is in an amazing location in a small bay with an old stone pier in front of it (and one of the most important historic churches in Scotland within 1/2 mile but more on that when I have visited it). However, once in the hotel all changed. A lovely welcome from the proprietors and the husband took me up to my room, Iona's room. It is brilliant, very spacious, nicely furnished and decorated and magical views into the little bay. Very happy.

I have an early start tomorrow for one of the highlights of the trip, I am travelled with Kilda Cruises out to St Kilda. I checked with the skipper this evening as instructed and he says the weather is set fair and we are on for tomorrow. Can't wait.  

1 comment:

  1. Well done on camera - I am always doing stuff like that. Glad the hotel is good and good luck St Kilda X

    ReplyDelete