Monday 8 September 2014

There and back again (hopefully) - Molly's Hebridean Adventure Day 8

Last night was probably the most disappointing hotel/venue I have stayed in. The Orasay Inn was ok, the people were friendly enough and the food was ok. However, it was not "special" where several of the places I have stayed in so far have been. It was pretty lacking in character and the rooms were a bit tired. Not uncomfortable, not dirty but just not special.
Given the price was the same as where I stayed tonight, and the meal was not a dissimilar cost, then that is quite shocking (more below).

Having not encountered any midges on the trip so far, they appeared at the Orasay car parking as I was unloading last night and as I was packing Molly this morning. Whilst annoying, the Avon spray must have worked as I did not get bitten.

My first stop of the day was at Hebridean Jewellery to bribe by girls for letting me loose for two weeks. For obvious reasons I cannot say what is bought (if anything) suffice to say the week's sales for HJ were looking pretty good at 9.45 am this morning. There were some lovely Highland cattle grazing by the car park which seemed like too good a photo opp to miss.

I left South Uist across the causeway to Benbecula. I was delighted to find a filling station (well 2 pumps) at this point. More to the point, I was delighted to get the filler cap off and back on as this has been playing up for the last few days - much relief and allowed me to enjoy my drive for the rest of the day.




I stopped next on Benbecula to climb up Rueval. The various guide books suggest parking by the Islands' Council Maintenance depot for the walk. What they don't say is that the council mechanics are going to get pretty excited at the sight of a Morgan. Molly didn't just get the superficial once over - this was in depth, bonnet up and at the end of it, Donald, Archie and Fergie wanted a picture taken with her, so it is shown below.

The walk up Rueval was fairly gentle and not too far. There were some peat cuttings to be seen on the way up. However, it was once at the top that the walk took a new dimension. The view across the island was spectacular, my little camera and my modest photographic skills mean my photos cannot do the views justice. From the trig point at the top, I could look across to the mountains of Skye some 35 miles easy. I also got my first sighting through the binoculars of St Kilda, the Islands just have this aura about them.








In the afternoon I drove across the causeway onto north Uist and drove all the way round the island. I stopped at the St Kilda view point (which featured in Monty Halls' series) and the arts centre. I saw more peat cutting and stacking. I then had a treat and saw a Golden eagle through the binns, right above me for about 5 minutes, magic.












I then arrived at the lovely Langass Lodge and my exceptional ground floor, spacious room. From the lodge I did a circular walk which passes an ancient burial site (5,000 years old and one of the oldest constructions in Europe) and an ancient stone circle.












An exceptional meal for dinner and now off to bed. 2 walks tomorrow, and then the ferry to Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment