Saturday 13 September 2014

There and back again (hopefully) - Molly's Hebridean Adventure Day 13

I've given up waiting for my photos to upload this evening so I'm afraid this is a photo-less blog.

A pretty brief blog today because most of it was travelling. Had a lovely breakfast at Solas Guest House, it helps that Iain is an ex butcher and makes the sausages himself. He and Karen were charming hosts and it was a great place to stay.

I drove down to Tarbert with the weather being splendid and sunny yet again so roof down all day. I made good time so I carried on and briefly crossed the bridge onto Scalpay so I had been on another island. Back at the ferry terminal the queues were quite big very early on, this was a packed ferry. Whilst I was having coffee waiting, I met one of the nice couples who I have bumped into a few times last time at Polochar. We had a nice chat during which they asked what I did for a living. This had been the subject of some discussion apparently and they had guessed a micro surgeon - I have no idea why, nor indeed what a micro surgeon is!

The crossing to Uig was like a duck pond, so calm. With the weather so glorious, I sat outside all the way and we were treated to some dolphins not far off Skye.

Once on Skye, I drove around the northern end of the island to start with. After 2 weeks of it, I think I am a pretty hardened pro at single track with passing places. I have to say the level of competence, and the ability/willingness to give a good hearty and friendly wave, whether or not you stopped, seems to have been left on the Outer Hebrides.

Skye was as I remember, very beautiful with the Cullins looking hugely impressive and menacing. However, the level of tourist traffic, with every layby full of visitors put me off stopping at a few places. I guess I have been spoilt by 2 weeks of remote Outer Hebrides but Skye felt a bit mainstream and cluttered by comparison.

Over the Skye Bridge, it was them a lovely drive down the A 87 past Loch Shiel and Loch Garry to the Glengarry Hotel. I've got a lovely room. Really looking forward to my visit to the Jim Clark Room in Duns tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment